View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 07:49 PM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: LOL....customer truck.

I have seen it a few times in my life, but usually they corrected the high compression ratio with a rebuild. The best example that I saw from beginning to end was a friend at the time.

He had a idea that if he put 305 heads which were mildly ported/cleaned up with a cartridge rolls on a 350. The idea was the high velocity would help torque, and thusly help improve mpg. At the rpm he drove 2200-2500rpm. It would also fall flat at 4300-4500 rpm, but wow it had some torque. Also it would idle at 600 rpm like a dream, and started almost like a fuel injected car. Quite a few of us got into the experience, and we were lending him various items to try out. Things like ram air intakes, velocity stack style, 4 inch tall filters, and Holley vs Q-jet.

I don't remember the details, but it did work out quite well for him. It was something like 9-1 comp, 1.5 inch long tube headers, advanced cam timing, and highly detailed build. The cam was similar to a comp 265 where it usually has a factory 4* advance, but he put it to 6*. The rear end was a 2.47 gear swapped into his 10 bolt. I don't remember what the final version ended up being as it went through a few variations, and parts changes looking to fully dial it in. In the end with a TH350 auto he could get 25 mpg highway doing 60, and 22 doing 70.

He lived in San Gabriel, and worked in Mira Loma as a diesel tech. His first real job, and starting out. Since it was a longer drive, and he needed a new engine anyways. The whole build started coming together. Back then overdrive transmissions we're very expensive so he tried this way.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote