View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #88
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Polar Bear Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevak20 View Post
I follow your progress and it looks great. I am working myself on my suburban between to much work.. Going to post pictures later on my own built thread.
I like the look of the white original wheels.
You have 13" x 3,5" brakes on the FF? Is that axel from a Crew Cab dually or single?
How is it working out with the proportion valve with a different brake size? Is it not a bigger brake cylinder also on 13 x 3,5 compared to 13 x 2,5?
Thanks Chevak20!

Yes, those are 13 x 3.5 brakes. The axle is a ¾ ton 10.5” 14 bolt full-floater but the brake backing plates, shoes, wheel cylinders, hardware and drums are single rear wheel 1-ton pieces. Actually, the drums, shoes and hardware are all new from Napa....only the backing plates are used.

I did not change master cylinder or prop valve and it works great. Probably will convert it to hydroboost someday but for now vacuum powers these big brakes just fine. It stops on a dime now! I did this same swap to my dad’s K20 back in the early 90’s and I just did this same 13 x 3.5 brake swap to my K10 this past July. Unlike most people, I don’t buy into the rear disk brake swaps. I still prefer a big rear drum brakes.

I thought I would be able to use the 11” brakes that I took off the K10 in July on this Suburban but no dice, as the park brake cable I would have needed doesn’t exist so I converted this donor axle for the Suburban back to 13’s. Confused? Me too
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote