View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 07:29 PM   #41
vancelot69

Re: valve covers, engine rebuild, other stuff

Did I mention that when I took the distributor out, when I tilted it to get it to clear the firewall, oil dripped out of it. I don't think that's supposed to happen, is it? The distributor is supposed to be sealed, right? That is, oil shouldn't seep into it. So, would you think that, and the oil pressure gauge tube leaking, is probably what was causing most of my oil loss?

Also, are you supposed to store the fan vertical, like it is positioned when installed? I didn't, and this morning I noticed some goop had drained out the back, down the mount, and onto the bed of my truck. I'm guessing that's the viscous fluid that makes it grab when it gets warm to pull more air through, and I'm guessing it's not supposed to leak out. So, I'm guessing I probably need a new fan, or at least a new clutch. Would these be correct guesses?

I've also read on these boards that these plastic hubs are bad news, and I noticed that mine is leaking, at least on the passenger side. Would it be a good idea to replace them?
Attached Images

2003 HD Road King
vancelot69 is offline   Reply With Quote