View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 03:13 AM   #7
suburban99

Re: Knock sensor problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
How many times has it triggered? Like if you clear the codes, do you get any period of function before the light pops up?

If you can watch live data, look at what the KR* count actually is, and see where the histograms show the hits counting. If you have a physical interference (things like transfer case, exhaust, trans xmember) touching/vibrating against the motor, it can actually trigger a large single hit of knock. It would show up on the logs as a spike, instead of a plateau like an actual knock condition would.

Even easier....can you hear an actual knock? Because your getting BOTH sensors to trigger the same conditional code, it means there is either; a problem with the hardware (loose pigtail, partially shorted wire that only contacts under certain conditions), a kr threshold set oddly (unlikely unless tuner got ambitious, or sloppy), or an actual knock severe enough and frequent enough to trigger both sensors at the same time under the same circumstance.

The only time replacing the PCM is a logical step is when there is an actual internal board failure, driver failure, component mismatch..or pissing off my tuner. If you think the PCM could be a cause, then try hard grounding the case. Probably best to check your grounding straps on the head and block as well, or consider adding some if you've streamlined the factory layout.
I can drive the truck for about 4-5 Miles (sometimes further) with some hard acceleration then the check engine light comes on. The PCM is not original to the truck, I bought it from a member here. I do have the original but would need to be programmed.
I can't hear a knock or detonation but exhaust is loud..and I am slightly deaf..
I have added additional alligator clip grounds to PCM case and block..

Because the truck is a 4x4 and runs 35's it can be a rough ride over some bumps...I did disconnect the PCM this morning when I checked wiring so maybe the connection wasn't good? I read somewhere that plug gap could cause the KS to trigger? Just got truck on road so we will see this week.
1997 Boxster.
1972 K10 Custom Deluxe LS 6.0
1950 GMC 3100 S10 & LS swapped
suburban99 is offline   Reply With Quote