Thread: EFI or CARB
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #14
swb85
On a budget like Fred Sanford

Re: EFI or CARB

Coming from a guy who owns and tunes both:

If you're going to keep it relatively stock and/or plan all of the engine modifications at one time, then I'd go EFI. If you're going for a little more wild combo and/or plan to add modifications to the motor slowly over time as budget allows, then I'd go carb. Obviously carb will be significantly less costly.

Every single change you make to an EFI motor requires changes in the tune. If you've got the software/knowledge to do this yourself then it's no big deal, but many people do not. Almost everybody can change jets in a carb and twist a distributor.

There's new "self tuning" EFI solutions on the market now, although I have no direct experience with those so I can't do more than speculate.......I do have extensive late-model EFI experience, and a simple MAF based system with wideband o2 feedback *should* work just fine without much user input on mild-ish motors. But you gotta pay to play!
swb85 is offline   Reply With Quote