View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 03:25 AM   #60
suicide 63

Smile Re: 6 lug DISC Brakes with FACTORY PARTS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
joe231 - I think that you can do the 6-lug disc brakes with factory parts. I have not done it, but did some research on the parts. If you use a spindle that came with the 1 1/4" discs from any 1/2 ton truck from 73-86 and the rotor from a 1990-1994 3/4 ton chevy it should work. The 90-94 3/4 ton (C2500, 7200GVW) uses a 6 lug rotor. The bearings and inner seal are the same for that rotor and the 73-86 rotor. You will have to use the Caliper, hoses and Pads that match the spindle that you use.

The tie rods become an issue, but is easily solved using the Tie Rod adjusting sleeves that Fatman Fab sells (you will have to call them, they are not in thier catalog, there about $40). It uses you orginal OUTER tie rod end and the new INNER tie rod end and you use an OUTER tie rod end (as the new OUTER) from the same year at the spindle.

Let me know if this works for you.

I tried this very setup with no luck.It bearings and seals are the same and will fit on the spindle but when you go to put the brakes on no go.The races for the bearing are offset in a different spot so the rotor hits the outer brake pad by over a 1/4 inch.the only solution i could see would be grinding the mountg surface on the caliper and spindle down but i wasnt going to take the chance.Long story short I bought lug rotors from cpp for the same price autozones 88 up heavy half ton rotors cost.Now if you could use an 88 up spindle on our truck it might work.88 up trucks have a slight positive offset on their wheels I think this is why the 88 up rotors were futher out than 71-87 rotors.good luck
suicide 63 is offline   Reply With Quote