View Single Post
Old 09-15-2016, 08:53 AM   #18
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Alternator Wiring (Internal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
Here is a wiring diagram that I think would allow the use of a two battery setup with the second battery used just for starting. It is wired in parallel with the main battery and would charge anytime off the alternator. It would not go dead if there was a drain on the main battery because it is wired through the Ford solenoid.

The purple solenoid wire would activate the ford solenoid and the starter solenoid. The glitch might be that the purple wire might not be able to activate both solenoids. I'm still working on that.

The ammeter wires are wired so that the gauge should work just like it does with a single battery and if it doesn't the just change to a voltmeter.

Attachment 1570738

The diagram posted smaller than I wanted so it may be hard to read.
Also I forgot to add the charging wire for the auxiliary battery with a diode to keep it isolated from the main circuit. I think you could use a switched relay instead of the diode to charge the aux battery manually.

Name:  2 BATTERY WIRING ver. 2.jpg
Views: 4039
Size:  38.4 KB

This is just a rough draft of an idea I had but I think it would work. I welcome all comments, good or bad. LOL

I don't know if the auxiliary battery would over charge this way but if it did the manual switched relay would allow you to charge it as needed. I would wire in a voltmeter to keep track of the charge voltage just in case.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.

Last edited by VetteVet; 09-15-2016 at 09:00 AM.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote