View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 12:26 AM   #22
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: 71 350 running hot coolant backup up problem

Thank you for taking the time to make suggestions I value them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
The first thing I would try would be to figure out the existing initial timing (after first verifying the TDC mark on the harmonic balancer is accurately reflecting true TDC)..It will still start and run good at idle even if at zero TDC.
Well after 5 hours spent trying to verify true TDC marks (see link for sister post below) I think I can tell you what my initial timing is/was.

Finding True Top Dead Center - TDC not so easy?

My initial timing was 19 degrees @ 650 RPM. That was not intentional when I set it, I was trying to get the truck running and move it from one location to my house.

I have since reset it to 12.5 degrees at 850 RPM with a manifold vacuum of 19 Hg. Not sure this is where I will keep it, but I will let the engine cool down then test it again.

Quote:
Also less important and I do understand why you are running just plain water while you sort this out but as you know plain water will boil at 212F - so maybe a little antifreeze just to raise the boiling point will be a little safer for the motor.
There was some anti freeze left over in the motor for sure, so it wasn't 100% water. Also the pressure in the cooling system adds 2 degrees per 1 PSI so at 15 PSI that's 30 additional degrees before we start to make bubbles and steam.

Quote:
I noticed you have well over 4,000 posts on this forum so I'll be surprised if I'm going to be of any help to you but at least hopefully this will encourage others to chime in.
Ha ha, I bet half of them are questions, lol.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote