View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 11:57 PM   #2
Matt Man

Re: Chevy 350 Smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonanzaK10 View Post
Hi guys,

I figured it was time to ask for some advice from the pros so here I am.

I've got a 79' K10 Bonanza with a 350, TH350, and NP203 with about 80,000. It runs fantastic with the exception of it blowing smoke. It doesn't blow smoke on start up but after it warms up a bit it smokes pretty darn bad. Throttle doesn't seem to affect it except for when you let off and then it will puff a bit more for a second or two. Today I let it idle for awhile and noticed after about 30 minutes the smoke stopped and didn't recur while I was driving it. I lose a little coolant and a little oil but I believe them to be seperate issues (Pan gasket leak, and a leaky freeze plug behind the motor mount.) I replaced the intake gasket which didn't solve the problem. I had been thinking head gasket but I rented a block tester and according to the liquid I don't have any exhaust gasses in my coolant. No oil in my coolant or vice versa. The exhaust doesn't smell sweet to me but it'll make your eyes tear up, it is white in color, no apparent blue or black tinge to it. I had an issue similar to this but not as bad caused from overfueling. It has a new Edelbrock 1406 carb which I tuned not even 100 miles ago. I'm wondering if it's overfueling again but it gives no other signs of running rich, idles smooth, no trouble starting. I am in no way familar with carbs and am pulling at straws now. I'd appreciate any help you guys could give, thanks!
Are you running a pcv valve? If so is it clogged? Does the motor have any blowby in it?
2020 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71 5.3 8 speed Daily Driver

K10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671934

The Peach build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733903

Matt Man is offline   Reply With Quote