View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 03:38 PM   #9
Matt Man

Re: Chevy 350 Smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonanzaK10 View Post
Yanked the modulator line, clean no residue. Checked the spark plugs, couldn't tell much as they are almost brand new, no fouling or anything though. Warmed it up for 45 minutes to get it nice and warm and then I block tested it, this time the fluid came back yellow which indicates exhaust gas in my coolant. After the short 15 minute drive yesterday a check of my coolant level and its down about 5 inches lower than it was before I had ran it so I'm definitely using coolant. Strange thing being that I couldn't get it to smoke today while idling it in the driveway. So definitely something with the head gasket, heads, or block. Which is what I had planned on. Is there anything I should look for when I yank the heads? Any spots prone to cracking? They are the original iron heads that came on the motor in 79'. Any wear items I should do while I'm at it? It's a fairly low mileage motor. Also as far as I've read there isn't much you can do to pep the old heads up correct? Port and polish nets minimal gains?
Yea the stock heads aren't very good, fine for torque but are out of breath at about 4000rpm. If you have some money, putting a set of Vortec heads on will get you some decent gains. However, you will need to change the intake manifold, then you might as well add a cam (snowball effect). If the motor is in good shape and you are looking for more performance now is the time to upgrade.
2020 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71 5.3 8 speed Daily Driver

K10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671934

The Peach build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733903

Matt Man is offline   Reply With Quote