View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #248
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

The idea behind the caster modification is to take the factory caster setting of 0* and change it to a more appropriate setting of 5-7 degree. The new setting will work better with modern radial tires and make freeway driving nicer. The basic idea is to move the lower ball joint forward in relationship to the upper ball joint. I measured some old shafts an determined the index was 3" from the end of the shaft originally. (Photo 1) Replacement shafts seem to have differences in index location. My new shafts had the index hole about 1/16" closer to the end of the shaft which is the opposite direction I wanted to go. I put the new index holes at 3 3/4" from the end of the shaft with the new hole 180* from the hole the shafts came with. (Photo 2) This moves the lower ball joint 3/4" closer to the front of the truck. I used a 3/4" end mill to make the initial cut about 1/4" deep and then used a 9/16 drill bit to finish the hole. I had never actually seen the indexing rivet and didn't know how tall it was. The index holes I made were actually too large for the factory rivets and would have been too loose and I would have had to replace the rivets anyway. I had measured the old and new holes (Photo 3&4) and went with the closest size I had. I will get the proper size from the drivers side when I get it apart and post it. I think that there is a fair difference in the size of the index rivet and the hole in the shaft in a factory set up.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote