View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #20
RichardJ

Re: BROWN WHITE Striped wire from the Ignition switch Burnt what can cause this?

Last first?
If you change your mind again and get a CS, be sure and note that the CS130 is not the same as the CS130D. The CS130 has one external fan and one internal fan. The CS130D/CS144 have two internal fans and none on the outside.
CS 130

If heat was the criteria, you should stick with the DN. Runs a lot cooler because there is less junk inside to block the air flow. That's just my opinion. My '67 has Climate Control AC, small CD radio, HEI, 2 electric fans and electric trailer brake running off the original 10DN Alt so what do I know?

I've seen a few bad alternators, but I have never seen one that burned the wires under the dash. I really don't think the Alt caused the problem.
You have a wiring harness for idiot lights and a dash with gauges. In VetteVet's first and recent diagrm, you can see that there is a different pin-out for the gauge dash.

I think the problem could be in the harness, but more likely in the missmatch in the dash pin-out.
Is your American Autowire harness similar to the OEM harness as far as the fuse block and bulkhead connector are concerned? You do understand that they are two separate items and can be separated by releasing some clips?

That last brown wire you ask about, at the ignition switch, goes into the back of the fuse panel. it supplies power to fuses for the wiper motor, htr blower, back-up lights and instrument cluster. Any problem with any of those working?
Of more concern is what is on the other end of the brown/white strip wire. On VetteVet's first post, he mentioned that the brown/white wire is connected to a brown wire at the pin on the back of the bulkhead connector and that this brown wire goes to the idiot light dash connector.

You need to separate the fuse panel from the bulkhead connector and find that brown wire. Follow that brown wire into your gauge dash and see what it really connects to. Going to a heater lamp should not have cause a problem.

What works? What gauges or lights of any kind do not work?

Last edited by RichardJ; 04-25-2011 at 03:31 PM.
RichardJ is offline   Reply With Quote