View Single Post
Old 08-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #217
ncpetersc

Re: Help a NOOB - A continuing saga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Get a big screwdriver (playing "Primitive Pete music, here) and pry the u-joint out of the diff trunnion. You don't even want to try and pull a u-joint underneath the truck, believe me! Your front spline is probably just caked with dry dust-filled grease. You can raise the truck to help get the driveshaft out, but when you go to install the center support bearing onto the frame, you must have the wheels on the ground with the truck's weight on them (or jack stands under the axle) so that the center support is aligned properly fore-to-aft. Otherwise the bearing can pop out of the carrier. AMHIKT.
I gave up, put it back together, and called it another failure for me (before I read this). It was easy enough to get the straps off and carrier mount loose, maybe I'll try one more time before giving in and looking to get it done someplace. I didn't try any prying just "sliding" it forward like the manual says. But it really isn't moving. What part slides? Way up at the tranny correct? Maybe I will look up there and see if I can "clean" at all.

Thanks again!
ncpetersc is offline   Reply With Quote