Thread: Np205 bracket
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #27
OLDCHEV4X4

Re: Np205 bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonaut View Post
I would think that frame flex is another factor here. We all know that light duty frames twist a hell of a lot. Having the transfer case mount located so far from the center axis is sure to put a lot of stress on the trans to tc adapter when the frame is twisting. Im sure folks with stiffened frames, cages, etc experience this mode of failure less frequently.
I decided to leave mine off since I wont be doing any mudding or similar driving where the powertrain will be exposed to impluse shock loading. Plus my frame is bendy-flexy until I box it. And take a look under many new trucks; I think they just let 'em hang.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have a cage, the frame is boxed in strategic places, and the motor mounts and motor mount cross member are all custom fabricated. I'm good to go. Nothing to do with luck.

I have broken adapters in the past on a stick and automatic, but also discovered broken driver side motor mounts and felt that this was why the adapter broke. I replaced everything and also added a motor limit strap and never had anymore problems. These were street legal trail trucks.
72 custom/10 8' bed
70 K/5 Blazer
67 C-30 GMC Flat bed
86 GMC K2500 Plow Truck
85 GMC K3500
84 M1008
85 M1008
77 G30 Motor Home
72 Sears 12hp Tractor
Glenmoore, Pennsylvania
OLDCHEV4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote