View Single Post
Old 12-15-2007, 09:06 PM   #2
get me on the road
No Matter What.

Re: Annual o2 sensor replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by kszygc View Post
Once a year or so I have to replace the downstream O2 sensors on a 99 Silverado. By that I mean the 2 sensors after the converter not the two before. It has the 5.3 w/ auto trans, auto 4x4. The previous owner cut the y-pipe and installed 2.25 inch pipe all the way to the rear without mufflers at all. I bolted on a pair of 4 inch supertrapps at the back end to cut down on my hearing loss, it's bad enough as it is. It has a K&N fitercharger kit and unknown brand of shorty headers. The computer is still stock though. I will get the DTC for low volst and no volts so I pull the sensor and it is in pieces internally. They aren't terribly expensive, I just get tired of replacing them. Anybody have any ideas or experience?
So I'm guessing you have 2 pipes one on each side, from the maniflod to the rear. Correct? If it is then I would put the 2 new downstreams in, and feel how much vibration is around them, if there is alot that could explain the internal pieces being broke. To fix that you could tac a hanger close to each pipe leaveing room to R&R the o2s if they go bad in the future. If possible use those hangers that have rubber straps on them to allow movement.
86 Mercury Cougar /89 Olds 88 /88 Chevy S-10 /84 Pontiac Firebird(I miss it) /91 Chevy S-10
get me on the road is offline   Reply With Quote