View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
jocko

Re: Resetting a 67 distribution block ?

also, if I'm not mistaken, that block was not a distribution block in 67 - it's just a brake pressure transducer, will send a signal to the light if there's a total pressure loss on either circuit to let you know you're running on a single circuit (front or rear). 67 was the first year for dual res master cyls - and the setup was still drum/drum, std until 72 when disk/drum became std (option in 71). Anyhoo - my point being, there is no adjustability in this setup - and since it is a drum/drum setup, the "proportioning" is done by the master cylinder itself - taken care of by the way in which the piston uncovers the front/rear ports when you depress the brake pedal.

However, here is one thing ot make sure of - and it probably has no real relation to your specific problem - make sure the front brakes are hooked up to the rear port and the rear brakes are hooked up to the forward port (of the mc) - this is what ensures proper proportioning, reversing it is akin to setting a prop valve too much biased to the rear, and you won't want that.

As for having NO pedal at all, I would ask how much bleeding have you actually done yet? When I replaced an entire system, I was amazed at how long it took to get the air out completely - the rears came back first, as you'd expect since that is the bleeding order. If there's any question in your mind about whether or not you've bled enough, then I'd go do it some more - but I'm assuming you have probably bled it to death, and so that's probably not the issue. It is possible that in the process of doing all you've done that the piston of the mc was pushed in and, if it's old, hung up on a groove in the bore. Is your pedal just dropping to the floor (or at least to an intermediate position) with zero resistance? Does it pick up any resistance before it hits the floor? This could be a hung mc, which should be replaced (or honed if $ tight). Not sure I've helped, but there you go. Good luck. Brakes can be nerve-racking!!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote