View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #12
68Gold/white

Re: 68 C20 Two Piece Driveshaft Support

5 years later. I made some calls to folks I buy parts from, did not get the answer I was looking for either...I finally found my old parts books. I sold auto parts from 1985-1998....

There are 2 choices on the u-joints (by a parts book, which can still be WRONG, beware). There's 2 sizes of cups (all 4 cups on u joints are same size), either 1-1/16" or 1-3/16". The 1-1/16 inch cup part number is Precision part number 369 (the most common for a 1/2 ton) and the 1-3/16" Precision part number is 331.

I know your pickup is a 3/4 ton, the 369 is listed for the standard 3 speed manual trans and the 331 is listed for the heavy duty 3 speed manual trans or the 4 speed manual.

The book shows that all 3 u-joints on the vehicle to be the same part number

The carrier bearing is BCA (Federal Mogal) part number HB-5. This carrier bearing is an assembly. it comes assembled, the bearing is surrounded by a large rubber band. I have not tore my carrier bearing apart to confirm whether or not you will need anything else to replace your carrier bearing.

The rubber piece thats coming apart in your picture does not look like the rubber piece on my new carrier bearing. Your carrier bearing WAS listed in my old parts catalog for your C20, but not listed for my C-10. Stuff for my 396 pickup is a little hard to lookup sometimes...

I believe the Precision brand is now sold under the Moog brand, same part numbers...

Just keep in mind that aftermarket u joint parts listings can be incorrect!!!

Captinfab
I believe I saw a picture of the carrier bearing setup you speak of. There's a picture of a build here (somewhere...) the bearing I saw, sits on top of the mounting bracket, instead of hanging down from it (like the 73-up pickups do).

Last edited by 68Gold/white; 11-04-2014 at 03:32 PM.
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote