View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 01:37 AM   #5
SCOTI

Re: 67-72 frame conversion for 63 Knee Knocker Cab and Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC View Post
SCOTI, found your build. I have actually followed your thread for a while.

I was looking at the frames tonight before a little dust storm blew through and it sure looks as if the bottom half of the frame horn is the same between the 63-66 frame and the 67-72 frame. I am going to make a template to check for sure.
The rad. support is different but that looks pretty easy to swap out.
Suspension in front is the same and bed perches look the same.
Front cab mounts look the same and the rear mounts are definitely in need of swapping.

The grinder will come out soon and brackets are coming off.
I am going to need a box of grade 8 X 1/2" bolts and nuts to reassemble.
I am leaning toward the 3 step brush on frame coating.
The transition on the front rails to the frame horns was slightly different as well. Enough so that when I did mine, I used frame horns off of the 'correct' year frame as my bumper brackets (similar to how a rear bumper/late model front bumper attaches). My 'new' brackets have a short extension of the top side of the frame rail still on them so that when installed, the gap between the front sheetmetal above the rails looks 'correct'.

You might consider adding spacers for the rear cab mounts & getting longer rear bolts. I built new ones (from the old ones) only because I added gusset/fish plates to my rails which changed the width dimensions. Since the mounts were going to be off, I just re-did them w/the right dimensions. A stock width frame could utilize some 1" spacers under the cab bushings & would be good to go. Rattle can them black & use a poker face. I won't tell
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote