View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #360
rkn463

Re: 68 C50 Looongbed pickup build

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdaug View Post
I've just glanced through the thread, so if this has come up yet my apologies. I'm definitely going to go through it more thoroughly when I have time.

How are you doing registration and insurance? Do you have CDL?

I'm wanting to something like Roadkill did with that F6 but with a Chevy, but I'm trying to figure out the titling/registration/insurance issues before I even start looking for a BIG truck to see if it's a non-starter.
Hi Jimdaug, thanks for checking it out. My truck has a 19500 GVW which comes in under the requirement for a CDL. I forget the exact rating but it is 24k or more in Texas before we have to go there. That being said, if I latch on to my Gooseneck and put a tractor on it I will be over...

Registration: I assume you mean license plates? This is a ranch truck and runs farm tags which are way cheaper than commercial. It hasn't been tagged since they stated requiring a state inspection to get tags. When that went down the brakes were fried and it wouldn't pass inspection so I dropped the tags.

I do keep it insured, I just played dumb and gave them the VIN and they didn't bat an eye... there again, it is a farm/ranch truck in a rural area an insurance runs cheap here.

Was the roadkill F6 the bobbed wheelie truck? If you are not making something that will not be used anywhere near its capacity then you may want to get a big truck and a pickup and use/modify the pickup cab so that you can retain the VIN that is associated with a lower GVW.

I hope this helps.

-Richard

Apologies if there are typos, I did not proof read this post