View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 11:26 PM   #75
joe231

Re: My 1991 Crew Cab project

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
Your ugly welds will be just fine after you hide them under the carpet. I ground the welds a little on my floor patches, but knew they would not be visible, so why waste the time making them perfect. I buried mine under seam sealer just to be sure there were no pin holes to cause future rust.
Yeah,
I know they will be hidden, but it still bugs me lol
I'll get over it though...

On the transmission issues, I found some information that the piston on the Actuator Feed Limit valve wears the bore it rides in, inside of the valve body. When this happens it will cause loss of 4th gear and lock up after the fluid is warm. There is a couple different fix it kits. Sonnax seems to make the best one, but the tool kit to drill and ream the bore is over $300, and the upgraded valve is $42. It comes with a steel sleeve that should stop the problem from happening again. TransGo makes an over sized piston that comes with the proper springs, a reamer, and a reamer guide. It's much cheaper at just under $100, but it isnt as permanent of a fix.

I may just pull the valve body and find a trans shop that has the Sonnex stuff and have them install it in my valve body...