View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 09:09 PM   #6
jojo-munson

Re: Greenie the 72 C20

Both the heads that were on the truck were cracked, good sized ones. So that was a real bummer. Not a cheap fix haha. I took it as an opportunity to do some upgrades, in this case to a set of vortec heads. My local machine shop gave me a decent deal on a brand new set. Though it wasn't until I got home that I thought to check which casting they were, and they turned out to be 906's. I did a lot of reading and there seem to be many controversies over whether the 906 casting is inferior to the other. Either way, they'll be an improvement over the old heads.

Name:  justheads.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  44.5 KB

I quickly realized that even though the vortec heads cost the same as a new set of the old style, all the accompanying parts really started adding up in price. I got a new intake, valve covers, water neck, thermostat, self aligning rockers, all the gaskets and associated bolts, drivers side exhaust manifold, and spark plugs. This ended up being about a $1,500 upgrade, but that's mostly because I decided to get quality parts like the Edelbrock intake, instead of cheapo ones. I had to special order the bolts for the exhaust from Ace, so even though almost everything else is put together, I have to wait on those. I'm really tempted to just throw on a couple of the old rusted bolts just so I can see if she runs.

The other setback is that I dropped the throttle return spring somewhere in the engine bay. No idea where it went, and I spent a good hour looking for it. So I'll need to pick up one of those.

I have a Rochester quadrajet, but the intake manifold I have doesn't work with the divorced choke. So I'm going to see how well she runs without a choke. I did some reading and it seems that it means I'll just have to sit there with my foot on the gas until she warms up for a longer time than usual. I also need to bend a bracket to get the kickdown to hook up.

Name:  ennginebeforeexhaustbolts.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  58.3 KB
jojo-munson is offline   Reply With Quote