View Single Post
Old 01-11-2020, 03:42 PM   #48
NZBurb

Re: K20 adventure thread

Trip recap

We are all settled in back at home and no trip would be complete without a recap! Key thoughts include:

1. We covered roughly 1,050 miles using 120 gallons of fuel, getting around 9 miles to the gallon.

2. I'm really proud of the Suburban and how she just kept on going. It would be fair to say there were a few thoughts prior to the trip of something dying in the middle of no where, having to get towed, and the holiday plans having to be adjusted! But she kept on going like a champ. She only needed a small oil and water top up and nothing leaked.

3. It was great to drive and understand her for a good period of time and really get to know where she does and doesn't do well. Modern cars have come a long way in the past 50 years! She is however a 50 year old truck running leaf springs. Driving her requires you to really set up for the corner, be conscious of your speed and deliberate in your thinking. Driving the Suburban made me realise a modern car almost has a telepathic approach to cornering (and our youngest car, a 2004 Outback, is not even known for wonderful cornering) where you think micro adjustments as you go and they magically happen. The Suburban requires a bit more direction and control. This left me more tired at the end of a drive, but also made the drive go far quicker as your thoughts don't get the opportunity to wander and accordingly you never get bored.

4. Being required to drive at the speed limit makes the road seem quieter. I'm not a fast driver but will sit somewhere just over the open road speed limit. Driving the Suburban at the speed limit means you don't catch traffic and the traffic that catches you passes and soon disappears. It felt like we had all the time and space in the world which made for a far more pleasant and relaxing trip.

5. You can feel the road! I thought road building in NZ had improved over the past 20 years but it turns out it is the cars that have got better. The Suburban feels every bump, hole and undulation. She continues to track well but you do feel everything. There were a few 'aaarrgghhhhs' throughout the trip as went over a few surprise bumps

6. The kids love the space and having their own seats. Bring able to throw a bunch of stuff in the back and not have it take up window space is also awesome, and it seems no matter how much weight gets put in the back the performance remains unaffected

7. The NV4500 and taller diff gearing hasn't changed fuel economy. Probably no surprise given the gas required to get over all the hills and get out of the bends, but the engine only seems to pull between 1,500 and 2,500rpm - after that she gets a bit asthmatic and there is absolutely no acceleration in 5th (1,500 rpm at 60mph). She definitely isn't a modern car where you would expect speed to remain consistent over hills (or even small elevation gains), but she feels like she is missing a trick as the foot often has to be flat to the floor to accelerate without taking all morning to get to cruising speed. Could just be the Goodwrench in there.

8. Overall we had a really good time relaxing and spending time together as a family. I also really needed the break after a busy year. The Suburban definitely added to the adventure and it was nice to do something a bit different that takes you away from the modern conveniences. I'm confident the kids will look back favorably when they are older on a great trip in a fun vehicle.

That's all for me for this thread. Thanks very much for following along and for all of your kind feedback. Here is the Suburban a bit dirtier after the trip hanging out in her drive. Next up is a new brake light switch and a good clean!
Attached Images

NZBurb is offline   Reply With Quote