View Single Post
Old 05-17-2006, 06:58 PM   #146
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

Re: Rear Fuel Tank swap

I did a job almost exactly like yank's.

I'd been thinking about it for ages, got the idea from the old bel-airs. never got around to it, or had thought money would be better spent until I saw this:

Yes, that's gasoline! and right over the exaust too! I drove it every day, never did smell gas, but noticed that one day when changing my oil.
Time to do the tank swap...

I ordered a blazer tank from brother's truck, mounted it and started on the filler.

I didn't have to cut the corner support that much, but welding the fuel filler, and getting it in there was pretty tricky....

here's what I cut,

as you can see, my truck needs paint, oh, and a bed!

I just welded a hinge to the metal light houseing, and riveted the other end to the body. not the prettiest, but it works. Basically I riveted it for mock up, I will weld it in place and smooth out the rivets(one day).

even with the bumper on, the light swings down almost 90 degrees, plenty of space to get a filler in.

I used it for about 3 months with out a vent hose, and man, what a PITA to fill, took forever, and splashed out regularly. I figured that's not the best thing around my lights(electricity!) so I added a vent hose to one of the vents on the tank. I routed it up and around the wheel well, into the top of the bedrail(not in a stake hole), and put one of those auto purge vents designed for boats on the end. (it's hidden under the bedliner...)

With the vent hose installed, works like a charm.
I've still yet to fill the tank hole on the cab though!

|M|

Last edited by Mordachai; 05-17-2006 at 07:00 PM.