Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Polar Bear Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86454k30 View Post
Are those wheels 8" wide?
They're actually 8.5" wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 250r View Post
Larry you ever look at the eaton fuller 5spds? I figure probably not as they aren't popular especially compared to the 4500s but we use them at work and i always thought they would be an interesting swap
Yes, but not for swapping. As a side job back in ’96-‘97, I used to drive a ’95 Kodiak rollback wrecker (an official Brickyard 400 wrecker to boot) with a Caterpillar and Eaton 5 speed in college. That trans is the epitome of a dump truck transmission. I would not want to swap one off those into anything smaller than a medium duty truck plus there is no way to marry a tcase to one of those. International used to use a Eaton 5 speed with o/d in their pickup trucks back in the 60’s but I think it is a different model than what GM used in the medium duty trucks. International ran divorced tcases though.

Here is that exact roll back years later when it carried the blue truck to the exhaust shop after a BBC swap. Fun truck to drive but I wouldn’t want its trans in anything smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyjams View Post
I vote to keep those wheels on the polar bear.
Yeah, that is the plan. I'm going to reorder these exact wheels from Desert Rat Off-Road again and get another set of Fierce Attitude tires for them to go back on the K10. The K10 is wearing Super Swampers at the moment, which is fine for local trips but not for the yearly desert trips. Next desert trip is May 2015.

Oh, here is a little something I've been working on for the Polar Bear . Still have lots of integration parts to buy so it will be a while before it actually goes in but may happen by the end of 2014.

DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote