View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #17
hatzie

Re: Solenoid to Motorized Fuel Tank Selector Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukagora View Post
No I am pretty sure it is not plug and play. I just got the switch myself and it only has 4 terminals on it for a blade type connection. I wish they would have shown that in the pictures of the item for sale so you can see it before you buy.

I think all I need to do currently is confirm which wire is for fuel sending unit in the back of my dash cluster connector, and I guess cut it and bypass where ever it goes and run it down to my new connector.

I had thought the wire was going to be located right behind the fuel gauge itself, just hanging there waiting to be conveniently used, but no such luck!

I snagged the wiring diagram for my year truck from Hatzie's incredibly convenient signature and think I figured out which one it is, just need to make it happen. That and wait for new fuel tank straps. I borrowed a strap with mount from a fuel tank oriented to the other side of the previous truck it belonged to. Turns out the fuel tank mounts are side specific too!
Fuel tank mounts are not side specific. However. There's front and a back mount.

Trying to make the Solenoid harness run the motorized valve, as-is, is like trying to microwave with your toaster.
You can re-use the sender connectors at the tank and the wire with the gauge disconnect on the frame rail along with enough wire to reach the new valve connector. The rest will need to be fabbed.

The fuel-gauge wire disconnect is on the Right Hand frame rail near the valve. It's in the solid Pink wire.
This is a contrasting color diagram that shows wire and connector functions of the 1973-1980 solenoid system. Notice the wildly different switch connections and the fact that the fuel gauge wires run to the dash switch rather than the valve.
The task you have set for yourself is to change the below system to the one in post 13.
It's worth noting that the RH tank could be designated production or aux depending on the year and who monkeyed with it before you.

Solenoid_Generic.pdf
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.

Last edited by hatzie; 05-08-2018 at 02:55 PM.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote