View Single Post
Old 05-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #7
Robert Crandall

Re: Sudden Extra Clutch Pedal Play ?

Thank you for all of your advice. The brand of clutch is whatever my FLAPS had in stock at the time. It is the diaphragm type. Of course, anytime I am into any clutch, I replace the throwout bearing. I do agree that it could be either the diaphragm spring or the throwout bearing. On both of the earlier replacements, of pressure plate, disc and bearing, there showed negligible wear on the friction surfaces. Something just broke. I had to fix it quickly the first two times because the truck was my daily driver. Now it is retired and registered as an antique. I drive it to work once a week and when I need to use a truck, so I do not have to hurry with the fix. I like driving my relics a lot more than I like working on them, but I will fix it.

I bought a new linkage to replace the oblong hole some time ago. It is not bad now, so I will leave that as is for now.

I like the story in post #3. I spent some time working in England. While there I bought an old right hand drive Volvo. The clutch operation and the master cylinder were on the left side, just as for left hand drive models. A bar linkage for the master cylinder went over the engine to the 'other side' pedal. A very long cable went around the front of the engine to connect the clutch to its 'other side' pedal. That cable broke one time about 50 miles from home. Lucky, I was in a rural area, and England uses 'round abouts' more than stop signs, so I rarely had to stop. I had to drive as described above - push then jump in for 1st then rev match the other gears. It worked, although my rev matching was not always the best.
Robert Crandall is offline   Reply With Quote