View Single Post
Old 06-11-2020, 02:53 PM   #18
weim55

Re: S10 Frame Swap on 47-53 - Would you do it again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
you keep saying this, I dont think it means what you think it means. i came from minitrucks in the 90s and 00s, where changing suspensions and heavy frame mods were normal, including a couple full frame builds, building new body mounts, etc. I dont have a preference for the s10 based on comfort of any of it, havent ever seen a single person I knew from then do an S10 AD, and I read all the project threads, I havent ever seen anyone say "I used to build minitrucks and this is what I like". so this has to be an assumption of yours, an incorrect one.

couple that with the https://steelcity73.wixsite.com/advanced-engineering/kit-components website which was launched in 2002 and had said (they have updated the website, sold the patterns to a new company after a shop fire) they had been developing S10 AD kits from 1996, thats a 24 year trend so far.

my comfort with the s10 frame comes from the fact that it comes with everything that costs more for keeping the original frame, highway rear axle, brake booster lines and disc front brakes, fuel tank and lines. if you think getting the front wheels wrong on a chassis swap is a problem unique to it, then you havent read enough project threads asking about axle centerline placement on MII. I also like that I dont have to keep a list of MII kit components handy to buy wear items, and that when I do need parts I dont need to order them in, every parts store even the ones in little mud huts have the s10 components in stock. when I want to lower it, I can have inexpensive spindles and springs on my doorstep in a couple days. lastly, starting with an original frame requires having an original frame. most AD trucks I buy are just cabs, or have been cut in half to make trailers out of. I think I have had a sum total of one 1/2 ton shortbed frame, a 41, and it was in such poor shape with cracks and needing boxing plates, it wouldnt have made sense to start with it.

Joedoh,
With the experience you have I’m curious if you could answer a couple questions: your own driving impressions on the finished product, what are some of your favorite things about the swap outcome, and what are some of your least favorite things about the swap outcome? If I myself were to go to the S-10route I want a truck that appears as completely stock as possible. Maybe a couple inches lower front and back but nothing more. Is that possible with the stock S 10 suspension?

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote