View Single Post
Old 09-25-2015, 04:12 AM   #8
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Going back to Points -- L6 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
I think I'd fix the carburetor problem first., you'll have to

Your mechanic is telling you if you go back to points you'll need to run a resistor to keep from burning up the points. At least he should be. The problem with that is the igniter II coil is designed to run on a full 12 volts, so if you go to points you'll need
a ballast resistor and a resistance, stock type coil. You can sub in a stock coil for a short time without the resistor but it won't last more than an hour cause they get hot and crack, usually around the coil wire neck.
No the machinist was telling me the resistor was unnecessary because I was running the stock 20 Wht/Or/Ppl resistance line. This was with a big square Mallory p/n 28675 "Voltmaster" coil. Ran fine for a long time w/o the ceramic resistor. I only switched it out when I made the Pertronix conversion.

Another question: I had spliced a 20 Yellow [to Starter 'S' term.] into my 12 gauge feed from the IGN/Unfused fuse block terminal to the coil (+) positive terminal. This was copying the stock coil feed. Is this necessary? Could it be part of the problem? There were no starter related issues while it was wired like this.

I tested all the coils I had in my shop. Resistance across POS (+) to Neg (-), expressed as "A". Then Tower connector to Pos and to Neg @ 20K range. Expressed as "B'' and "C".

1] Delco-Remy "208" [black] A = 5.5 ohm @ 200 Ohms, B = 9.34, C = 9.35. [20k range].
2] Delco-Remy "208" [rusty] A =2.0, B=6.27, C =6.27.
3] Mallory p/n 29217. [chrome] A =1.5, B = 10.56, C=10.55.
4] Mallory p/n 28675. [square]. A = 1.1, B=16.75, C = 17.5.
5] Pertronix [Flamethrower II]. A = 1.0, B = 10.77, C = 10.77.

I liked # 3 the best. I'll hunt around for the ceramic resistor.

I also had an old Lucas HA12 coil off my Dad's old '58 Jag. I couldn't tell which was positive, the terminals were marked SW and CB. Switch and Car Body, perhaps? That car had a "Positive Earth" so I'm not messing with it. but the values were:
A = 3.7, B =7.14, C=7.14.

And I put the point-trigger distributor back together.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 09-27-2015 at 03:21 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote