View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 12:58 PM   #115
paintman

Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

Ok, so the last few days have been all about brakeology 101. When I bought the truck it had some kind of 1/2 a@% brake pedal assembly bolted up under the dash, with the master cylinder mounted to the firewall. Well that was fine when the truck had the small block in it. Unfortunately when I decided to switch over to the inline motor, I soon realized the brake booster, master cylinder, and carburetor, wanted to occupy the same space in the engine compartment. Soooo that meant moving the brake booster to under the cab. Of course I have already covered what troubles moving the brake booster to under the cab would cause with my exhaust

So any ways here is a pic of the butched up pedal assembly that I took out from under the dash. I only wish I had kept the brake pedal to show how boogered up it was, but unfortunately I have already taken it to the local scrapper. You can kind of see the shaft the pedal swung on and the brake light switch.

So with that gone I mounted your typical TCI frame mount booster and pedal assembly. I'm sure most all of you have seen this 1000 times. Only thing I did different was to not use the plate that bolted to the frame that came with the unit. Instead I opted to weld a piece of plate to the frame and bolt the pedal assembly in that way.

From the front.

So of course as most of you know having the brake cylinder under the cab poses the problem of how do you fill the master cylinder. Well, I didn't want to cut a trap door in the floor and have to peel back the carpet all the time so a quick call out to Justin at Scott's Hot Rods solved the problem. All you need is one of his trick remote fill canisters and a lid tapped for fittings on your master cylinder.

This trick little unit is drilled and tapped for fittings on the back and bottom so mounting possibilities are just about endless. Decisions decisions...., I kind of like the look of it mounted to the firewall with no signs of any hoses.

But hidden under the seat is pretty cool too....Hmmmmm what do you guys think?

With that done it was on to some kind of E-brake. I have been pondering where I wanted to put my handle for quite awhile and finally decided to do under dash. Reason being, the 46 cab is pretty narrow and I didn't want to clutter up the floor anymore then I already have by putting it next to the shifter. So again, most all you guys have seen this before, but I used a Lokar set up.
Installation was pretty straight forward. In fact I was able to use it just as it came out of the box. No cutting of the bracket at all. The only thing I had to do was make a small spacer out of some plate steel to make up about a 1/8 in length I needed.

The bracket comes 15" long and can be cut down in 1" increments to fit what ever distance you have between your dash and firewall.
Here's a pic showing the spacer plate I made to take up some slack.

Here's a couple of different shots showing how its mounted. If you look close you can see the spacer plate between the bracket and firewall. Once I do the final assembly on the truck I will move the handle and ratchet mechanism more forward towards the firewall to get it tucked further up under the dash.

So that is where i'm at as of now. Tonight it's take the girls out trick or treating and over the weekend start patching up the gas filler hole and the holes in the cab floor to keep the Queen Mary from sinking!
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote