View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #17
yahoos

Re: 1977 Luv. Ls is the plan

Well Ive been driving her. Wasnt sure if I was going to keep her or not. Ive been looking for wheels for about 8 months. I wanted steelies. I needed them to clear the disk brakes all the way around. and I wanted them to sit inside the body. well only thing I could find to meet all those were there 88-98 4x4 steel wheels from gm. I looked forever and no luck. Finally started lloking for any wheel to get rid of the awful ones on it and found exactly what i was looking for.

$60 on cl about 40 mins away. hellya

i wanted to use my datsun center caps on them

The center caps snap over 3 small metal balls on the datsun wheels spaced out in a triangle shape. So I need 3 on my new wheels. I started of with this metal ring I found on the side of the road about 4 months ago. I could sit it on the datsun wheels and the edge of the ring sat on all 3 balls. So i sat it and marked it.

next instead of using balls i decided to just use nuts stood on there side. I ground out a notch on the three points where the nuts would recess in there. then i ran a piece of scrap across the middle and drilled some holes for bolts. sat that on the datsun wheel lined the bolts up centered in 2 of the lugs and welded the heads down.

next i used the jig on the 88-98 wheels and torqued them down. slid a nut in each slot and tacked them down. and it works.

wire wheeled them, sanded and primered.

kumho ecsta 225/50 16s

before

after