View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 10:59 PM   #15
Mike_The_Grad

Re: Engine starting problem.

Bigbird05, I hear ya on the solenoid replacement suggestion. Makes sense, some of my buddies have suggested the same thing. Someone else mentioned a "HD solenoid". I'll look for one. I have a "New" remanufactured starter sitting on the shelf in the garage. Would that starters solenoid be sufficient for a "new" solenoid or should I actually buy a brand new solenoid? Thanks for pointing me in the right direction as far as where to look next considering the things I've already tested. Would it help any to test the cab side of the bulkhead connector ign coil + and my tach signal wire(coil -) for any voltage drop?

RichardJ, thanks for the diagram. It helps to visualize all the connections for the starter circuit. And helps me to remember to check any others I might not have considered testing before. And yes I meant to say exactly as you had deduced from my previous statement of the starter motor continued to crank after the engine started and I returned the key to the run position. This is the time I got smoke billowing out from under my dash. The starter I currently have installed does not have this issue. And there have been no other incidences of smoke from anywhere since I installed this current starter and replaced the ignition switch.

I worked a 13 hour day today. So no time for the truck. I've got another long day tomorow. And possibly Thursday. So I won't really be able to trouble shoot or diagnose anything until friday or this weekend. But as soon as i get a chance i am going to try all of what everyone has suggested so far. Thank you all for your help.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is online now   Reply With Quote