View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 09:54 PM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: So my all original 72 has a replacement engine block. What to do?

Rebuild this engine. Deck the block and get a stamp that gets it back to whatever the numbers should be. If there is a "350" cast into the block next to the distributor, grind it with a Dremel and then peen the metal to look like cast iron sand texture there.

I'm just kidding. What do you expect the truck to be worth if you do all that, versus just using the block as-is? You are going to have to convince the potential buyer of the worth. Are you planning on flipping it as "original"? One of my younger sisters bought a '66 Malibu back in the '70s that purportedly had a "4-Bolt Main 350" in it (which isn't even close to original). She drove it for years, and when I pulled it to rebuild it, there it was. Small-journal 327. Don't get wrapped around the axle over originality with a vehicle this old, especially a truck. There isn't a market for numbers matching trucks, like Mustangs and Z-28s. This works to your benefit. You wouldn't believe the prices people pay for NOS or supposedly original parts that look like Frankenstein's monster inside, once somebody goes into it. Distributors and carburetors are especially in this category. There is a pile of carburetors with the number for a '69 302 Z-28. They are everywhere on the internet; many more than Holley ever made. ETA: For that particular application

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA

Last edited by Steeveedee; 03-13-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote