View Single Post
Old 05-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #27
jeffahart

Re: 67-72 winch bumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I've built a lot of bumpers over the years. But now I want to build one to look more like the manufactured ones like Warn and Ramsey offered. I have a truck body fab shop that does what I don't have equipment for, like break work. I don't think they have a way to make a curved (form) c-channel. Does anyone have suggestions for where that could get done? I have another design in mind if I can't replicate the store-bought design. I think that first one shown on Lawman's GMC is a Ramsey bumper.
Back in the day you saw a lot of bastardized rear bumpers on the front of trucks with for winches. I am designing a front bumper for my truck. I have the behind bumper winch. The prior owner has cut the fenders in the front for mudders. So my plan is to wrap the bumper around to bottom of where the fenders are cut. I plan to use c channel. What I'm thinking of doing is cutting the out the top and bottom of the C, heat then bend. then cut some iron to the curved shape and weld back into top and bottom. But I'm thinking of doing a pretty tight radius bending close to a 90 degree. My bumper will have the c channel mounted to the frame horns because I don't need extensions, plus I won't need decking. But I think you can cut C and bend where you cut out to flat iron. Anyhow, I think I can heat and use some iron pipe as a die for the radius.