View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
'58Patch

Re: Rebuilding stock front and rear susp. Need recommendations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
The only thing that I wasn't totally satisfied with was the way the shackle arms fit on to the pins. The ends of the pins are tapered and the shackle arms are a wedge fit on to them. The holes in the shackle arms are tapered to match the pins. The arms should go on far enough so that the rubber seals completely seal the space between the spring and shackle arm. I had to clean the "flash" out of all of the holes in the arms and enlarge the holes to get then to fit on the pins far enough. It's not a big problem but did make the job take a little longer than I anticipated. I was not trying to put them on backwards, BTW, with the taper reversed.
You can do this job with out removing the axles and springs from the truck if you work on one end of the springs at a time. You will need a jack and some GOOD SAFE jackstands to do it this way. I used a piece of 1/2 inch threaded rod with some washers and nuts to remove the old bushing from the springs.
Right on, thanks for the heads up. I am taking everything off since I need to replace the springs. Did you paint your parts? If you did, what did you use?