View Single Post
Old 12-15-2017, 11:24 PM   #6072
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Learned how to remove front coil springs today. Like everything else on these trucks, it was easier than expected. This is how I did it.

I read where one of the members secures the spring by running a chain through the spring and bottom control arm. If you ask me, that's exactly how you do it. Doesn't take much effort, and might save your life.

Course that chain placement may not bode well for a floor jack placed underneath the spring, but I read in a number of places to jack up the outer end of the control arm, so I removed the zerk fitting and did just that. I only raised it an inch or so, because the only things on the frame are the front suspension, and the engine and transmission. It worked well.

Backed the nuts off maybe 3/8" and went at the ball joints with a pickle fork. I had to back off the floor jack some, I believe to release the lower joints. Then I lowered the control arm, and that spring is pretty well loose.

I say pretty well loose, because like dummy I was talking to someone, and forgot to re-secure the lower control arm with the floor jack. Then I took off what I believe was the top nut. Yeah, the lower control arm met with the concrete. Really, there was little to no tension on the spring at that point. No harm no foul, there was less force than I'd expect, but don't do that................

I cut the tops of the rivets with a Dremel. It's clean, but I went through 4 wheels. Took a chisel to the cuts and it made for a nice surface to drill. I used oil of course, and kept the bits cool, and didn't waste a single bit. That said, I only drilled a 1/4" diameter. I punched the first one out, but left the rest. I may see if it's better to remove them with the control arm off. Anyone know how large the rivet holes are? I'd guess 3/8". How about replacement bolt size?............... Something tells me I shouldn't have drilled all the way through those rivets, and just punch them out.............. EDIT: Yep. I should have invested in a good air chisel. I'll save it for another day, do it the hard way........Ha!.

Don't know how to install cleanly yet, but I may get one of these to avoid scratches. http://www.eastwood.com/fairmount-to...ompressor.html

Other ideas for install appreciated. Other than that, I agree with everyone who says so, don't use coil compressors to remove front coil springs. Now to figure out how to remove ball joints.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 12-16-2017 at 01:08 AM.