View Single Post
Old 08-20-2017, 01:18 AM   #853
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Unhappy Re: Project Lemon Drop: anything but stock!

I need some input........

I have been putting the Helmsman Spar Varnish on the underside side of the bed wood. I let it cure for 6 or so hours, lightly sanded with a 400 grit, wiped the boards down with a tack cloth, before applying the next coat. After the first coat I noticed that the varnish appeared to be ( for the lack of a better word to describe it) like an orange peal. I thought each coat I applied after the first would level everything out, but it DID NOT.

Perhaps it was caused by bubbles in the varnish. I don't think it is dust, because after a good sweep and mopping of the garage floor, I hung plastic up in the middle of garage to create a hopefully a sealed off work area.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about what caused it? Did I apply to much varnish for each coat?

I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong before I start on the top side of the wood!

I just finished putting on the last coat and its late. I try to post a picture tomorrow.

Thanks

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote