View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Out of the Ditch = The Rebuild Begins ('72 GMC)

Well... Sorry for the late update. Getting geared up for fishing season, and a lot of stuff going on. The shop owner swung by the house and took a look ath the truck. He pointed out some pretty bad spots on the frame. It is shifted to the passenger side more than an inch, and the drivers side framerail is actually twisted. The drivers side shock is compressed all the way down, and the passenger side is pretty much in the normal position. Once he pointed out the twist, it was completly noticeable. He did say that with the equipment they have at their shop, this would be quite a challenge as this is the worst frame tweak they would try to tackle. We drank a couple of beers together and discussed it, and I told him I'd let him know what I decide to do. What a cool cat.

So one of my buddies and I took the hood of last night, and now I will start the front end tear down. I will have more pics for you guys either tonight or tomorrow. I'll take some measurements and alos try to document the bent frame. Not 100% sure on where to go from here. If I want to save this frame, I will probably have to find a no kiddin' shop that does frame work. Or... find another frame, or another truck.

My wife was in tears as I told her the news when she got home from work. She is really hoping we can save this truck. I am too... but I'm keeping all my options open. She really loves the old heap, and she loves my truck as well . So I'll post more up for you fellers later on.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.