View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 10:43 PM   #1
clinebarger

Tom's 4L60E build

Member Tom shipped his trans to me for a rebuild, Thought I'd share it with the rest of you.....

This is a 1998 298mm 4L60E with a little over 200,000 miles & As far as I can tell.....Has never been rebuilt.

It was in pretty good shape all things considered. Things found.....
*A couple of the Forward Frictions has no friction material at all.
*The Reaction Shaft has quite a bit of wear where the Thrust Washer rides.
*The Front Pump Rotor had ate a pretty good groove in the Pump Cover.
*The rear Sun Gear Bushing, Reverse Input Drum Bushings, And the front Reaction Shaft Bushing were pretty well wiped out. The rest of the bushings are in need of replacement.

The good.......
*The Reverse Input Drum is in PERFECT shape, Kinda surprised!
The 2 Planetary Carriers are great shape, And it has a "High Speed" rear Carrier which was normally reserved for Corvette/Camaro/Firebird units, But I've seen a few '98 truck units have them.
*The 3-4 Clutch was not burnt down, Just a little distressed.

Didn't get the OK on the build 'til after work.....But, I decided to go ahead & get the Case/Extension Housing/Bellhousing cleaned up along with replacing some bushings anyway.

Recently started using Durabond seamless coated bushings, Even though they cost 3-times what generic Chicom bushings costs, I really like them. OE style Clevite & Federal Mogul bushings are getting harder & harder to find "In-Stock" these days.

Forward Frictions......These are made by Allomatic for GM which were chosen over Borg Warner to cut costs, They don't perform like the BW's!!! All the other frictions are Borg Warner save for the 2 Overrun Frictions which are also Allomatic. It will get the latest Borg Warners during the build!

clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote