View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #19
rfmaster

Re: 87 TBI to Carb conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpine View Post
Update: My mechanic found an old Camaro from around the same year in the junk yard and swapped out the Throttle body keeping the injectors. Though I'm yet to see it he's says it's running strong and no longer dies when you gas it. Before doing that, he tried swapping all the compentents discussed - no changes resulted from changing the MAP Sensor, TPS or IAC.
He says the computer on the truck is not original.

I'm not clear yet on exactly why, but he had to disconnect some temperture control sensor (?) to keep it from from idleing way too high. However, when he disconnects it the engine light comes on .. no other apparent consiquence yet. Would you guys know what part he might be talking about? Even with it disconnected, he's finding it to idle kind of high.

He's across town so I can't even see it until Wednesday.

Many Thanks!
Camaro used a slightly different ECM (1228746) than a truck (1227747). If you look at ECM module there is a service number printed on a label along with broadcast code. Broadcast code (BCC) is used to identify emission - drivetrain calibration information stored in ECM's EPROM. For sake of discussion early TBI Camaros and truck C/K ECM's share same circuit design except that Camaro also incorporates IAT (Inlet Air Temperature sensor) on ECM pin C12 and there are two additional control lines: a) Charcoal Canister Purge (CCP) on pin A3 and b) AIR diverter control valve on ECM pin C1. You can swap 305 TBI truck into 305 F-body and it should run without any issues (provided that the two use the same trany). Swapping Camaro ECM into truck will result in DTC 23 being set (with open circuit ECM input line is pulled high which corresponds to very cold temperature -40C! ECM will command higher idle if it sees very cold air). All of this can be fixed with a custom EPROM - but that's another story all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk Will Smash View Post
I'm not going to let TBI beat me!
Yep - it works, just have to follow step by step approach in troubleshooting. And it's simple enough to work on.

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote