View Single Post
Old 04-01-2018, 10:42 AM   #7
RedRider

Re: Help with rough running engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudzupatch View Post
HUGE hint right there. If I read this right and it was running good before, then it was not. Start with what you changed, odds are great you did something that is causing the issue.
My thoughts exactly, like did I miss a tooth on the distributor? Timing is good though, but that’s not to say something else changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
New intake + one cylinder missing likely = intake gasket vacuum leak. Carb gasket leak usually causes several lean cylinders or the entire motor depending on manifold type. Might pull and check the plugs. One might have been fouled by too much oil. Also could have got a dead out of the box plug.
Pulled the plugs and they look alright, smell a little like gas though. I am running a questionable 1” carb spacer (got it at a swap meet, didn’t sit exactly level but thought the gasket would compensate to seal it). But if it was a vacuum leak from the carb gasket, wouldn’t that cause a pretty high idle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Seems to me it's never really run very good -right?
A rough running engine can be a bunch of thing -even a combination. You've done some of the preliminaries so next is to do the simplest, easiest things first.
Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks by plugging all even the vacuum advance. When unsure if the gas in the tank is contaminated I disconnect the fuel hose from the tank to the fuel pump and then place a fuel hose into a one gallon can under the truck and run it from there. From there it's a matter of elimination; ignition components and/or internal engine components like worn out cam lobes. Just do the simplest, cheapest first.
Yes, direct “fresh” fuel may be next, good call. The stuff coming in looks questionable looking through the clear fuel filter. I could see old gas causing a rough idle, but on acceleration too?

Thanks for the tips everybody, I’ll keep you posted of my progress.