View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
tommie
97' Tahoe 2dr/2wd

Re: 1994 chevy silverado starting problems.

I had worked on one of these trucks do this a long time ago after the engine had been detailed. water had damaged the TPS (throttle position sensor) and the computer thought that the driver was holding the gas pedal to the floor in "clear flood mode" and the computer had turned off the injector drivers, and was waiting to see a lower TPS voltage....

The TPS is a 3 wire sensor, one wire is a ground, one wire is a 5 volt reference signal sent from the ECM, and the last wire is the feedback wire from the TPS that varies from about .5-.75 vlots at closed throttle to 4.5-5 volts at wide open throttle.

this can be easily checked with a volt meter after removing the air cleaner. (with the sensor plugged in)

or you could simply unplug the tps and see if the truck starts. when the sensor is unplugged, the ECM uses a default value to operate the engine

this is where i would start, since you said it runs fine after you start it by spraying some starting fluid in the TBI.

there could be other problems like listed above... but I would check this first, then check the fuel system/fuel pressure....

Last edited by tommie; 12-17-2008 at 06:27 PM.
tommie is offline   Reply With Quote