Thread: 28 Model A
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2016, 03:12 AM   #54
Desperado454

Re: 28 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bradbury View Post
Looks great, good job on the fabrication. My 82 year old father and I are building a '29 roadster pick up. It is shaping up very slowly but it will be a nice rod when done.

This is roughly how we got it 12 years ago. This photo was taken after we took the fenders off. They were glass and we got nice Brookville steel to replace.
That looks immaculate man! Very nice so far, and no doubt it'll be a nice rod when its done.

Alright, just about caught up on this. Here's where i was fitting my new wheel patch panels. Can see my re-purposed spring brackets being used as lower shock brackets here.

Always envisioned the parking brake in the form of a lever mounted under the dash in the middle. An early 40's lever out a chevy ended up fulfilling the vision. Works great.

Bought a stainless tank from speedway but it lacked a sending unit and i wanted it to fill from the outside. Didn't like the center outlet on the bottom much either as it was lined up with the highest part of the rear axle. So I got a sending unit from bob drake and a tight stainless mandrel bend to make a filler tube with. Also, I made up a piece to mount the sender and fuel pick up tube on.

U-bend piece:

Ready to weld additions on:

Was making sure the gauge was actually going to work. It did!:

Here's the sending unit part of it welded up, was worried it was going to warp alot but it ended up being fine.

To finish up i removed the filler from the cowl with the plan to move it to the back. This is the first time i tig welded a patch into sheet metal and man oh man was it nice. Before welding:

After:

This is after it was ground down. Its not nearly as nice as the picture makes it look as there are some flaws and a little more hammer work to do, but it turned out miles better than just about every mig'd patch i've ever attempted and it was done in a fraction of the time.

More to come!

'28 Model A Build

-Brooks
Desperado454 is offline   Reply With Quote