View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 11:15 AM   #1
Jasko59

1970 Blazer 4WD axle / brake conversion

I just bought a 1970 K5 Blazer 4WD and will be doing a frame off restoration. I'm interested in the best way to convert the drum brakes on both axles to disc brakes. I know I can swap a front axle from a '72 with existing disc brakes in place of the '70's front axle. Replies to other posts have said front axles from some years newer than '72 will also work, and others have said that they will not. I haven't found anything that addresses what will work best for the rear axle.

In order to get the best answer for this post I'll list several specifics that pertain to my truck and project plans.

- I might be able to get both the front and rear axles from a '72 Blazer, but there's no guarantee.
- The truck will primarily be used for road & highway driving, with some rare beach or light off road use.
- It currently has a 3.73 ratio.
- I'm going to work on the suspension while the frame is completely bare (no body, engine, transmission, transfer case, or gas tank).
- I'd like to be able to "drop in" the axles and / or brake conversions without cutting or welding the axle housing or shaft.
- The truck will run on 31"-33" tires when completed.
- If I lift the suspension it will only be 2"-2.5" using either a Skyjacker or Tuff Country kit.
- The existing 307 engine will be swapped for a 350.
- I'll probably swap the manual 3-speed (column) transmission for a 4-speed turbo automatic.
- I realize I'll have to get new brake lines & cylinder, and also a brake booster.
- I realize parts such as the axle shaft, steering knuckles, other steering components, u-joint, and drive shaft may have to be replaced.

Any and all info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Jasko59; 09-27-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Jasko59 is offline   Reply With Quote