View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #99
rusty_67

Re: 'Wintergreen' 1969 GMC Build

Another LT1 Hurdle defeated. Since I was using the impala valve covers with the corvette accessory bracket, the alternator fitment was a bit of a squeeze (no indentation in the valve cover). So I went on a mission to Pick n pull. Armed with the dimensions I needed to make it fit and tape measure I was able to find a candidate from a 1993 Buick regal.

Output on this model is 105 Amp. Should be plenty for what I am running.

There was no way I was going to put this ugly piece on my motor, and without knowing its overall condition, I decided a I'd rebuild it. So started taking it apart.

Had some trouble separating the stator leads from the diodes, and all the twisting and pulling on the old leads caused them to eventually break. So along with a rebuild kit I had to spring for a new stator. Here are all the old parts layed out

And the new parts, I was going to polish the casing, but about 3 hrs into sanding and buffing the front face, i decided that was ridiculous. so I kind of half-assesd finished the face, then wire wheeled the rest. Then I gave it a thick coat of clear. I really liked the way it turned out. Very new looking...

New bearing in the rear:

New diode trio, regulator, brushes, etc:

New Stator, I trimmed the leads and Crimped them in place. I chose not to solder them as I think the crimping will be enough and if I ever want to rebuilding it again I won't have to deal with the solder ( the reason I had trouble with the original stator):

new bearing in the front:

And voila, pretty well new alternator that fits!

I was able to find a polished stainless shroud on ebay that covers the alternator and ac compressor. So it'll be covered up for the most part, but at least it'll look good until that gets installed!
rusty_67 is offline   Reply With Quote