View Single Post
Old 03-27-2016, 10:48 AM   #22
C1ph3r

Re: Papaw's truck - A C1ph3r build thread

First real update. Sorry it is a long one. More of a problem journal than anything.

Brought the truck home Friday from my dads. what a drive. 2 hours on the interstate in this old fella. Thank the Lord it didn't rain.

Only got a couple things fixed:
Problem: No dash lights.
Fix: Turns out all the bulbs were bad. Replaced them all with LEDs. While I had the light switch out, I cleaned up the contacts for the dimmer with some electronics cleaner and added some dielectric grease.

Problem: Drive side back up light not working
Fix: This needed a complete housing. Socket was bad. Could not make ground between the socket and the housing. Lucky for me the Truck and Car Shop has a location about 10 miles away. Picked up a complete new assembly and now that works.

Problem: Front side markers didn't work
Fix: Turned out the sockets were corroded really bad. Small piece of sand paper and some contact cleaner got that worked out. Replaced front and rear side markers with LEDs

Problem: horn doesnt work
Fix: trouble shoot wiring and check contacts at horn button when steering wheel is off

Other issues found along the way that have not been resolved and how I think to fix them.

Problem: ALL the side window weather stripping is bad. Well, all the weather stripping in the doors are bad for that matter. So that will be a long road to recovery.
Fix: Planning on buying the door and window weather stripping from Classic Heartbeat

Problem: Turn signals REALLY slow
Fix: New turn signal relay. I also have a new assembly for the steering column. The hazard button is broken also so this will fix that.

Problem: High oil pressure reading on mechanical gauge
Fix: No idea as of yet

Problem: temp gauge reads a little high for my liking.
Fix: research where it is supposed to read and possibly replace thermostat.

Problem: heat riser valve broken
Fix: replace with a heat riser delete. already have the part just need to put it in

Problem: very bad cold start up, faulty choke and general poor performance. Especially when cold. According to my dad
Fix: Starting out with a new carb with an electric choke. Already ordered and on its way from National Carburetor

Problem: windshield washer. There is one, but the hoses are all broken and were never replaced. No idea of the current state of the pump.
Fix: Going to replace with a generic pump under the hood

Problem: no over flow catch for the radiator. not really a problem but I want one
Fix: rig up some sort of over flow tank

Problem: found a rust hole in the lower right rear cab corner
Fix: find a local body shop to fix. Fix that and some of the other areas that could lead to problems.

Problem: LOADS of cosmetic issues.
Fix: fix.replace as needed

Problem: holes in the various defrost and heater hoses
Fix: going with Vintage Air so that will fix that

Once all these general safety and reliability items get fixed, I am calling it phase 1, and the truck is safe to be my DD, on to all the fun phase 2 stuff. AC is phase 2 but it will also fix some other issues.

Also the radio doesn't work. But that's also a repair for phase 2 or 3.

I think that's it for now. All I can think of after having the truck for a day.