View Single Post
Old 01-21-2019, 04:20 PM   #390
Purcell69

Re: 1957 Chevy 3100, meet 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebte View Post
Nice job. Love the truck and hope your able to get the photo stuff figured out. Sucks loosing build photos.
Thanks Mike.

I'm lucky, in that I haven't lost the photos. A while back, Photobucket decided that they would charge everyone who used their site to host images. There was little warning given to the site's users before Photobucket disabled all of the links. The only way to reactivate the links was to pay up. PB did this because they felt their sites users were hosting photos for commercial purposes and PB wanted their piece of the pie, despite what efect it would have on non-commercial users.

It turns out that after many months, PB reactivated the non-commercial links after their ransom demands were not met. Meanwhile, I had downloaded all of my images to a few different hard drives and a USB drive, and then deleted all of my content from PB. As a result, every image I posted in any forum has a dead link if it was hosted by PB. Initially, I was going to go back and ad my photos in locally, but we are talking nearly 1,000 images, maybe more.

When I downloaded my images from PB, all the metadata for the images was lost, so I can't sort them by image date. I have to go picture by picture and then remember what I was trying to illustrate at that time. Rebuilding the threads with the correct photos would take months, after sorting the images. The file names are no help, because I used several different cameras for the original images, so they are not in any sequence, though the originals still have the metadata files.

Instead of trying to replace all the PB images in sequence, I think the YouTube slide show option is a bit more practical. I'm sorting the images into groups relating to specific events or parts, like the engine, or frame modifications, etc. By doing this, I am starting to reorganize the images and I may take some time later on to replace the PB images so the links are functional again, but I don't trust Photobucket to continue to do the right thing.

-Joe