View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 10:32 PM   #12
MP&C

Re: Mig welding wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC3420 View Post
MP&C gave me some pointers on how to keep the weld bead as small as possible regarding heat and wire speed.
May as well add that info here for others that may be looking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC3420
Hey MP&C, I truly appreciate what you add to the board and your work is second to none. Quick question. What brand welding wire do you run for mig? I am setup with 75/25 gas and wanted to know what wire you are running? Or if you have uncovered a “better” welding wire that grinds easier than others. Thanks.

I have run ESAB ER70-S6, ER70-S7 (Spoolarc 87HP) and EZ-Grind. Of the three, I had best results with the -S7, and after that the EZ grind. The S7 has more manganese for better wetting, ie: flowout. Means it will give you a flatter weld for much less to grind. I don't think ESAB still makes it in .023 but I have seen it in .030, although 33 or 44 lb spools. If you are using a 11 lb spool machine, you would need to re-spool the wire.

The only other company I have seen selling the S7 is Blue Devil, but this is made in China and is questionable content, as is anything else from there.

My suggestion to you is to try to get what you're using now to flow better, and lay flatter. Do some practice coupons and increase your heat setting to get good penetration, then if any blowout, add more feed speed. Keep playing with adjustments, and what you are looking for is higher heat, and less time on the trigger. the longer you sit there the more the weld piles up, the more grinding. So play around and see what you can do with more heat, shorter elapsed time on the trigger pull and see if you can get less weld proud. Make sure you're getting full weld penetration, whatever you do.