View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 05:55 PM   #12
daveshilling

Re: Shorten vs. new bedsides vs. find a shortbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I don't remember that "go to post" but what I suggested in post 5 is the simple and least stressful way. You will have to get some spot weld cutters but they aren't that hard to find. Spot welds mean a whole lot less chance of warpage too. You will have to drill the holes for the bolts to hold it together with the front panel at the front but will have the stake posts as a guide so that doesn't require a tape measure.

Blowing it apart shouldn't take more than a couple of hours and once you get the hang of it cutting the spot welds out shouldn't take that long especially if you have the bed sides laying flat on saw horses or a bench. One of the TF guys should be able to give you exact reference points and measurements to shorten the bed sides.

Leaving the rust on the bed sides and calling it patina and putting it back together might be the way to get done so your grandfather can ride in it and if you tire of that look you can always redo it later. That might mean you can actually have a short box all bolted back together sitting on saw horses in a weekend or less.

This is the one : http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=323615

As mentioned in another comment above, he braces the bed so its not flopping around and such. Am I missing an obvious reason why its not better to blow the bed apart and do the bedsides vs. keep the cab intact and brace?

I appreciate the resounding push to cut it! What the hell, I'll cut it.
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote