View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 10:35 PM   #52
cruizin01

Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

Few things to update.

I was able to modify the stock battery brackets to hold this larger AGM battery. Its not super pretty but its hidden by the battery. It needs painted, etc yet it works. I need to come up with a hold down but yeah.

I used some battery cables I had laying around at work. The positive cable was perfect length and the negative was 1/0 speaker cable I had around. I found some crimps and some heat shrink from harbor freight.

I also mounted a universal coolant tank and got it connected. It was easier to mount etc than a stock one that I didn't have...

Sunday night I got to the point where I was ready to try and crank the engine over with the key! It fired right over without any issues. I didn't have any fuel in the tank so I wasn't ready for it to run yet.

Last night I topped all the fluids and put some fuel in the tank. I still dont hvae the right filler neck or hose but I used some heater hose and a funnel to dump in a few gallons. It struggled to start and was dumping fuel badly and running poorly. I realized after talking with a friend that my choke wasn't working right. I got that handled tonight and made another attempt.

Finally running after a few fixes.

Tonight was the first time Ive ever driven this truck under its own power. Pretty stoked about that.

Please excuse the poor video. My wife texted it to me instead of email.

https://youtu.be/4OfkfK9IDzs

I still need more coolant. I feel like this things holds a swimming pool full of coolant. The trans is pretty close to topped off. It was hard to read in the dark. I had the fan running to keep things cool.

Transmission seemed to go into 1st, neutral and reverse just fine. Thats a nice relief. Brakes worked so far. Pedal seemed a bit low but not spongy.

https://youtu.be/xbhks6j73nA

More to come. ..

Last edited by cruizin01; 02-20-2018 at 10:41 PM.
cruizin01 is offline   Reply With Quote