View Single Post
Old 01-23-2022, 01:44 PM   #1499
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Making some progress on the new engine. The block is bored and Shrode is getting the bearings to install the rotating assembly. I just ordered a pile of parts to finish the rest of it. I went with a set of Brodix IK200 heads. These are a good flowing aluminum as cast head so it will be perfect for the level of performance I'm aiming for, good choice for the higher compression with the flat tops (about 10:1) vs iron heads. I was also looking at some Promaxx 200 heads, they were my first choice because basically they are the same as the brodix heads but a little cheaper and with a better valve job (5 angle vs 3 angle), but due to shortages for everything the Brodix supposedly have a much earlier delivery date. I chose a Howards hydraulic roller cam, 272/278 duration and .525" lift which I also have to wait on, until early March I think, due to the lifters. The cam is in stock, can't get the lifters. Getting a Cloyes timing chain set, roller tip rockers, Melling oil pump, summit 6 qt oil pan with built in windage tray, summit version of an edelbrock performer air gap intake and some ARP head bolts.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bro-1021007
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-cl111145-10

Nothing too radical but it should have good vacuum, mild chop idle and really decent power curve. The computers estimate around 450 HP and 500 ft-lbs I believe. Should be a fun cruiser.

This engine will be beyond the capabilities of my existing FI Tech EFI at full tilt. It should work for everything I intend to do but I might need to step up to a bigger system. At least I have several other vehicles to swap this one onto, probably the plow truck. That would be awesome.

Now that the engine is pretty much settled I'll have to turn my attention to the transmission. I have a 200-4R from a Monte Carlo I want to use because it's a direct swap for the TH350. I don't know the condition of it so it needs to be gone through and should get a few upgrades so it can handle the torque of the 383. It's the same transmission GM used in the GNX so I know it can handle it if built right.

There is another distraction though and that's the long time waiting cobra kit car. I did some financial restructuring and found some money to get an engine for it, a 5.0 coyote, which I picked up Friday. I'm always looking for a bargain and the prices on these engines (used) have doubled in the last couple years so I got one from a 2014 F150 with supposedly a cracked head. I'm in the midst of a teardown on it to see what I got. If it's a cracked seat it can be repaired no problem. If it's in the aluminum not many machine shops will fix it and I'll need to find a head. The first gen coyote in the truck was only rated at 360 hp, but I'm sure I can improve that a bit. I'm looking at either upgrades to the current heads or finding a set of 2nd gen heads (bigger valves, more lift, heavier springs) to get me over 400 hp. That should be plenty for a 2300 lb car.

Still need to find a transmission for the cobra. I'm looking for a good used 5 or 6 speed. Hit me up if you got a line on one.

Pic for attention
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote